The System Center Team blog wrote a great post that goes over some of the most significant improvements made to Windows Server 2012 R2.
- Storage transformation –...
- Software defined networking – ...
- Virtualization and live migration – ...
- Access & Information Protection – ...
- Java application monitoring – ...
The System Center Team Blog - Better Together - The New Windows Server 2012 R2 Innovations – Download Now
There are quite a few products that make up the Microsoft Cloud OS vision. Windows Server 2012 R2 is in preview right now and ready for your evaluation. We also have a strong management platform that make up the System Center family of products. They are designed to have tight integration with the core being Windows Server.
If you are looking for information on Windows Server 2012 R2, we have been rolling out detailed information though Brad Anderson’s What’s New in 2012 R2 blog series. That will continue but we thought you would like a short consolidated list for consideration. Here are some of the new innovations in Windows Server 2012 R2.
Storage transformation – Delivers breakthrough performance at a fraction of the cost
- The storage tiering feature of Storage Spaces in Windows Server 2012 R2 automatically tiers data across hard disks and solid state drives based on usage to dramatically increase storage performance and cost efficiency.
Software defined networking – Provides new levels of agility and flexibility
- Network virtualization in Windows Server 2012 R2, along with the management capabilities in System Center 2012 R2 provides the flexibility to place any virtual machine on any node regardless of IP address with isolation.
- New in-box gateway in Windows Server 2012 R2 extends virtual networks to provide full connectivity to physical networks as well as access to virtual networks over the internet.
Virtualization and live migration – Provides an integrated and high-performance virtualization platform
- Cross-version live migration enables virtual machines running on Windows Server 2012 to be migrated to Windows Server 2012 R2 hosts with no downtime.
- Live migration compression provides dramatic time savings (approximately 50% or greater) by using spare CPU cycles to compress live migration traffic with no special hardware.
- Live migration with RDMA enables offloading of the process to the NICs (if they support RDMA) for even faster live migrations.
Access & Information Protection – Empowering your users to be productive while maintaining control and security of corporate information with Windows Server 2012 R2
- Enable users to work on the device of their choice (through BYOD programs or on personal devices) by providing a simple registration process to make the devices known to IT and be taken into account as part of your conditional access policies
- Deliver policy-based access control to corporate applications and data with consistent experiences across devices
- Protect corporate information and mitigate risk by managing a single identity for each user across both on-premises and cloud-based applications and enabling multi-factor authentication for additional user validation
Java application monitoring – Enables deep application insight into Java applications.
- Provides performance and exception events as well as level alerting within Operations Manager for Java applications.
- Supports Tomcat, Java JDK, and other Java web services frameworks.
- Line-of-code level traceability with performance and exception metrics for .NET and Java application monitoring for more actionable, tool-driven dev-ops collaboration
Try Windows Server 2012 R2 on Windows Azure today!
In a word, lots (for an R2)
Related Past Post XRef:
"Introducing Windows Server 2012 R2" [Preview eBook Release]